Monday, June 15, 2015

The CRACKED take on Bill Finger’s lack of credit

The onetime Mad Magazine competitor Cracked is now an online-only publication, but the snark hasn’t changed. However, the format has, considerably. The site consists largely of pop-culture and/or news-junkie lists served up with (often foulmouthed) humor. But these lists are not presented solely for laughs. For example, the one I’m in: “5 Ways Batman's TRUE Creator Got Screwed Out of His Legacy.” 


Posted on 6/12/15, this piece (the latest high-profile brand to join the crusade to promote the cultural contribution of Bill Finger) notched nearly half a million views in two days. 

The author of the piece is Cezary Jan Strusiewicz, who was wonderful to work with. He graciously agreed to tone down the blue language of his first draft because a primary audience for my book Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman is young people. And he asked my opinion on every subsequent draft, willing to honor just about all of my requests.

My Cracked experience was all it was cracked up to be.

1 comment:

hobbyfan said...

I remember reading Cracked moreso than Mad in my high school days. The new Cracked beats the Same Old Mad by a mile, and is less expensive.