Thursday, March 25, 2010

City Club of Cleveland





I'd argue that Superman is the most influential idea to come out of Cleveland and spread around the world.

Yet another force for freedom from Cleveland not only never leaves town but also draws the world to it.

The City Club of Cleveland, a "citadel of free speech," is "generally considered one of the top three speaking forums in America. It has played host to many sitting Presidents and Vice-Presidents as well as some of the most notable citizens of the United States."

Plus, obviously due to a clerical error, me.

On 3/22/10, the City Club of Cleveland kindly gave me the floor to talk about Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman.

Biggest room on the premises? No. Standing room only? No. But we did manage to fill most seats.

Will they add my portrait to the wall alongside ones of Rosa Parks, Madeline Albright, Jane Fonda, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu? No. But I don't think any audience member nodded off.

Adding to the honor, at least four members of Cleveland's own Siegel and Shuster Society attended. Here I am with three:

Jamie Reigle, only one wearing jeans, Matthew Rizzuto, Brad Ricca

I could see the City Club from my hotel window. That night, a storm blew through.

10:11 p.m.

One second after previous photo. So yes, this is lightning, not fog or dawn.

Heading out, the airport had a dramatic reminder that in Cleveland, you need to be faster than more than a speeding bullet:


2 comments:

Chris Barton said...

Sounds like a fun gig, Marc. It makes me want to write a book set in Cleveland, just so I can -- hey, wait a minute...

Marc Tyler Nobleman said...

Give it a go, Chris!